Sunday, October 3, 2010

Here's a short list of REAL state mottos.

OK, I know that my lists can be irritating, but I was looking at the real State mottos.

AK: "North to the Future" So, I guess, South to the Has Been?
AR: "The People rule" I think it would be so much better if they updated it to, "The People RULE! Awesome!"
CT: "He who transplanted sustains" What the heck does THAT mean?
KS: "To the stars through difficulty". Wow. That's comforting.
ME: "Dirigo", which is Latin for "I Lead". When I first saw it, I thought it said, "Dingo". Then I thought, "That's the best motto EVER."
MD: "Manly deeds, womanly words." Tough, with a high pitched voice. Mike Tyson!
MN: "L'étoile du Nord" or "Star of the North". Only motto in French.
MT: "Oro y Plata" Latin for "Gold and Silver". Hey, let's just cut to the bottom line here, OK?
NH: "Live free or die". In today's environment, that'll probably be changed to "Live free or negotiate" soon.
NM: "It grows as it goes" Recently voted as the most Dr Seuss motto in the Union.
NC: "To be, rather than to seem" Deep.
OR: Translates to mean, "She flies with her own wings". Who thought that up? Who let the guy stoned on 'shrooms in charge of the motto?
RI: The oldest of the mottos. Simply, "Hope". Short, sweet, easy to cross-stitch onto pillow shams. The three big criteria.
TN: "Agriculture and Commerce". OK, guys, look. A motto is supposed to be inspirational, not the list of economic high points of your state.
UT: Industry. See above.
VA: "Sic semper tyrannis" Isn't that what John Wilkes Booth said right after shooting Abe Lincoln? That's kinda, I don't know, creepy, you know?
WA: OK, ready for this? "Al-ki". It's Chinook jargon for "By and by". Why not just say, "Whatever". Means sorta the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment